Scallop Bacon Sandwiches
I don’t know how I stumbled across these bite sized creations, but when I did, I knew I was pretty much obligated to make them. These were part of our Christmas dinner as appetizers to lamb stew and vanilla and chocolate crème brulee. They’re pretty simple to make and are a great addition to any dinner! Enjoy.
- 15-20 medium scallops
- 4-5 slices bacon
- ¼-1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
*The amount of each ingredient will be variable depending on how much you like bacon and spinach as well as the spices on your scallops*
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼-1/2 tsp raw honey
1. In large pan, cook bacon over medium heat.
2. While bacon is cooking, season your scallops (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and chili powder)
3. Once bacon is done cooking, remove from pan. Set aside 1 tablespoon of bacon grease for the shallot sauce.
4. Place scallops in pan with remaining bacon grease and cook each side for about 3-4 minutes
Try not to crowd the pan. Leave some room around each scallop to get them crispy on each side.
5. For the shallot sauce, add shallots, balsamic vinegar and honey to bacon grease and simmer on medium high heat until the sauce thickens.
6. Time to assemble the sandwiches!
- Cut scallops in half horizontally
- Cut bacon into 1 inch slices
- Place a piece of bacon, a leaf or two of spinach on top of one half of the scallop and top with the other half.
- Stick a toothpick thru the center to secure the sandwich together and finish with a small dollop of shallot sauce
7. Now you’re all ready to eat.....all of them! Enjoy!